In the City of Centerville, proposed work may come under the purview of several different divisions/offices such as Zoning, Architectural Preservation or Building Inspection. Although some decks, fences sheds and signs may not require building approval, they MAY REQUIRE ZONING APPROVAL - please check with the Planning and Zoning department to make sure.
The following is a list of some changes and structures that require approval from the City of Centerville Building Inspection Office:
- New construction, additions or remodeling
- Patio covers & enclosures
- Covered or uncovered commercial decks
- Covered or uncovered attached residential decks
- Detached residential decks with a floor area greater than 200 sq. ft.
- Garages (attached or detached)
- Commercial storage sheds with a floor area greater than 120 sq. ft.
- Residential storage sheds or accessory structures with a floor area greater than 200 sq. ft.
- Swimming pools (Electrical permit for circuits and bonding)
- Electrical system installation, modification or replacement
- New installation or replacement of furnaces and air-conditioners
- Gas piping installation or replacement
- Plumbing system installation or replacement
- Dishwasher, water heater or water softener installation or replacement
- Fireplaces and inserts
- Moving or relocating buildings
- Demolition of buildings
- Permanent Signs
- Radio/TV towers/dish antennas
- Changes in occupancy or occupants in commercial buildings/spaces
If your project is not on this list and you are not sure if you need approval, call the Building Inspection Department at (937) 428-4786, Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Although some decks, fences sheds and signs may not require building department approval, they MAY REQUIRE ZONING APPROVAL - please check with the Planning and Zoning department to make sure.